Thursday, April 23, 2015

Chink in the Armor: A Look Back at Iron Man 2

DAY 3

The year was 2010. It had been two years since the generation/genre defining film The Dark Knight.

Fuck you, Social Network.

Since that masterpiece, the nerd community had been treated to the likes of Watchmen, a flawed but solid flick, Kick-Ass, a movie that was celebrated for its gratuitous violence (if nothing else), and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I guess you could say that times were hard.

*Sigh* I tried so hard not to hate you.

We could only wait and pray that salvation was on the horizon. Iron Man 2, the third entry in Marvel’s Cinematic Universe, was charging towards its release date in the all the hubris glory of Tony Stark himself. Marvel’s hope, I imagine, was to claim both the laurels and box office take of The Dark Knight while at the same time redeem itself from the underwhelming The Incredible Hulk. Instead, they gave us Iron Man 2. This flick, more than any other, is often referred to as “Marvel’s misfire,” “Marvel’s mistake,” or, more simply, “a mess of a movie.” While I don’t disagree that this is one of the weaker Marvel films, I do assert that the people saying these things need to pull the sticks out of their asses.


What They Did Right

Mostly Everything Up Until the S.H.I.E.L.D. Exposition
I’ll touch on this more a little ways down, but I feel like I need to make a stand here. People are so quick to shit on Iron Man 2 that they don’t realize that there is about 75-80% of a really solid flick in here. Vanko making his own arc reactor, Tony’s introduction at the Stark Expo (with Shoot to Thrill playing to the audience!), the Senate hearing, every scene with Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell), the Mark V “road-rash” suitcase suit and most of that sequence, Vanko’s speech in prison, the Japanese Garden, War Machine, and Tony’s birthday party are all, in my mind, pretty amazing moments in a movie that people claim is the worst of the MCU. I don’t necessarily understand why Iron Man 2 has a reputation of being such an irredeemable movie, but then again, I’m a Marvel fanboy (duh).

This moment alone is worth the price of admission.

Robert Downey Jr.
First and foremost, I did not talk about this guy nearly enough in the last post, so I figure I have a pretty big obligation to do so now. Downey has so much to do in this movie. He needs to be charming and confident, but vulnerable and sensitive. He needs to be hilarious, but also needs to bring a certain amount of gravity to his performance. Now, one may point to particular quips or action sequences, but Downey is best when he is playing sincere. Tony and Pepper fly from Monaco back to the states on his private jet. Tony knows that the arc reactor in his chest is killing him. He pleads with Pepper, who is unaware of his condition, to go away with him somewhere. He doesn’t want to go back to the real world to face his birthday, mortality, or the consequences of Monaco. He just wants to spend his last few days with the woman he loves. I feel that this is one of the most real-feeling scenes in the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe, and serves as a reminder to why Robert Downey Jr. is considered the headliner in every film he is in.

Look at all of those rippling acting muscles.

Justin Hammer
Justin Hammer is the weird kid at the end of the block that your mom made you play with against your will. Justin Hammer is the student who always knows more than the college professor because he read a chapter ahead. Justin Hammer is the guy who speaks with absolute authority on subjects he knows nothing about. Justin Hammer is easily the best character in the entire picture. For as cool, intelligent, and sexy as Stark is, Hammer is the complete opposite. You always get the feeling that he just can’t quite keep up with Stark in any respect (cars, clothes, women). Sam Rockwell creates the most entertaining antagonist that we have seen in the MCU thus far (one of the best ever), and steals every scene he is in. Just watch his entire weapons presentation to Rhodey. If you can make it through that whole scene without chuckling, you’re probably dead inside.

"I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say."

I stand by the “75-80% of a good movie” line I gave you up there, but to expand on any of those moments would just seem a bit redundant seeing as you can simply pop in the disc and watch the movie. Let’s move on to the things that piss me right-the-fuck-off.

What They Did Wrong

Scarlett Johansson
I’m a fan with the way Marvel has casted most of its movies, but Scarlett Johansson is the worst thing to happen to the MCU outside of Edgar Wright exiting the Ant-Man movie. She serves no purpose in the movie other than to… be there, I guess. She delivers every line like she’s reading it off of a cue card she has just seen for the first time (Spoiler Alert: it never gets any better). “But James,” I hear you say, “she’s hot, and that’s all that matters! And that fight scene was pretty kick-ass!” First of all, don’t interrupt me mid-rant, okay? It’s just rude. Second of all, there are several other actresses that would look just as gorgeous and be able to act their way out of a paper bag (fingers still crossed for Stana Katic or Emily Blunt as recasts in the future). Black widow had the potential of being a multi-layer character and, from the sound of things, Age of Ultron makes her as such. However, Scar Jo brings about the same amount of charisma to the screen as the poster of her you have above your bed.

What acting looks like?
It literally looks like she's trying really hard to read her next line.

The Music
A minor gripe, but as someone who has several orchestral soundtracks on his iPod, I feel like I owe it to myself to draw attention to the score. The score of Iron Man was comprised mostly of heavy guitar riffs (supplied by Tom Morello) with an “in-your-face” attitude. Occasionally, the orchestra would take over, but more often than not the music felt gritty; gritty to the point of sounding like it was recorded in some dude’s garage. In contrast, Iron Man 2 relies heavily on orchestral arrangements, making the music sound as sanitized and generic as the every other superhero movie. This marks a major shift in both tone and style for the Marvel Universe as a whole.

S.H.I.E.L.D.
Okay, here we go *deep breath.* S.H.I.E.L.D. is the second worst thing to happen to this movie (see above). After the "Randy’s Donuts" scene, the movie comes to a screeching halt so that Nick Fury can talk to the audience, at length, about this shady organization that we've only gotten hints about in the last two pictures. Instead of using this time to further develop Hammer or Whiplash (whom I’ll get to in a minute), the film makers decide that we need the last 50 years of S.H.I.E.L.D. history, no matter how long it takes. This sets a bad precedent that, in some critics’ minds, will haunt the rest of Marvel’s Phase I movies. (Phase I includes everything from Iron Man (2008) to The Avengers (2012)). Marvel sacrifices what could have been a very focused and compelling movie in favor of “world building.” It’s a real shame that this movie has to suffer for the “greater good” of the MCU. Everything that S.H.I.E.L.D. does in this movie (besides bringing back Coulson) is a hindrance.

Oh, God, even the symbol is enough to make me stop caring.

New Element
This ties into my S.H.I.E.L.D. complaint. Again, if you haven’t seen the movie, it’s worth your time to watch it. However, the entire “rediscovering a new element” scene is, for lack of a better word, stupid. Tony gets a message from his dead dad (which Downey totally sells) and somehow uses an old model of the Stark Expo to decode the secrets to the element that will stop his arc reactor from killing him. I’m not trying to undersell the idea; that’s actually what happens. 


The music tries to convince us that this process is exciting, and Downey does his best to make sense of the jargon that he’s saying, but overall, the scene is simply broken. We get it, Marvel. We understand that it’s a movie about superheroes and that we need to take some things on faith. Yet somehow, this scene is less believable to me than a giant, blond man wielding a magic hammer.

I give! Shit's too stupid!

The Lame Villain
You knew it was coming. While I realize that I don’t have to keep mentioning it, each villain offers a different set of grievances for me to bitch about. Ivan Vanko (Whiplash) starts out as a character with a relatively cool design, interesting looking weaponry, and a motivation for killing our hero that actually makes sense. Then, after his one cool scene, Vanko is relegated to the shadows, posing no threat to Tony until the last five minutes of the movie. Much like Black Widow, Vanko is just sort of there. His final battle scene does him no favors, as his suit of armor basically looks the same as that of Stane’s, and the CGI used to place his head on the armor is laughably bad. Once again, Marvel drops the ball.

Like something from a bad SNL sketch.

Final Thoughts

I saw this movie at the midnight IMAX screening on, May 7th 2010, two full years after Iron Man hit screens. The experience was much more pleasurable than that of The Incredible Hulk, as I was able to sit with my cousins, my brother, and a handful of friends that hadn’t experienced the magic of a Marvel Midnight Show (which should be experienced at least once in your lifetime). At the time, I thought that the movie was amazing, that the Thor tag was perfect, and that Marvel had once again outdone themselves. I knew of the issues people took with the movie, but I was so blinded by fandom that I refused to hear it. Honestly, this is the movie I was the most afraid of revisiting. I thought that my fond memories of the film would have been tainted by hearing nothing but cruel criticism for the last five years. I’m relived, however, that I can still find an enjoyable time in the Armored Avenger’s second outing.

So, where does Iron Man 2 rank on my list of MCU Films?

  1.
  2.
  3.
  4. Iron Man
  5.
  6.
  7.
  8.
  9. Iron Man 2
10. The Incredible Hulk

While I will defend this movie to the death, selling out a film for the sake of expanding a universe is never the right decision. Confer with your writers, and give us something better.

END OF DAY 3

Thank you to all of my readers! Do you agree with my ranking? Are there any great moments or errant flaws that I missed? Why isn't Sam Rockwell in more stuff? Was I too hard on Scar Jo? Let me know in the comments below! #bringbackjustinhammer

Be kind to each other.

-James



No comments:

Post a Comment